Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tears of Sorrow - Tears of Joy

Its only been a week but it feels like it's been years. We lost our beloved little Sheena last Saturday. She was coming on 17 years old, and I'm sure it was way past her time. She came into our family in September of 1992. My friend Joni had just gotten a puppy and I mentioned to Jim how adorable Chancey was. Joni mentioned that they had one pup left and she was the runt of the litter. The people who had the puppies were going to keep her, but later decided that they would let us have her, and we needed to come and get her right away, so Jim surprised me with her for an early birthday present.... The rest is history. What an amazing dog. Her and Carson grew up together and he doesn't remember life without her.

You've heard that cats have 9 lives, Sheena had a lot of close calls too. In the hottest point of the summer she accidentally got locked in the car for 2 hours and had a heat stroke. A few days later (along with a couple doses of Pepto and Gatorade) she was back to her perky self. Later in life, when crossing the street to come home she ran into the tire of a slow moving car. After she recovered from the initial panic, she was up and running with no broken bones, just a slight bloody nose, a kinked neck and a fat lip. She loved to ride in the car on my lap. One night after a sharp left turn, she tumbled out the window and rolled across the parking lot. One of her most recent mishaps was an evening last summer while camping. She was crossing a bridge over a shallow creek (being nearly blind). Jim heard a splash and helped her out of the ice cold water. Same summer-different camping trip, she ate something weird and ended up at the vet with "colitis." As if all the previous wasn't enough to get a good dog down, she suffered a slight stroke. Soon after, had 5 rotten teeth pulled-the vet said they just had to go (too much cheese supposedly??)
Due to lack of teeth she spent her last days with her tongue sticking out.

Ain't I still lookin' good for being old?
(112 dog'on years)
Caden and "Sheesh" as he called her

Jim has never really liked dogs, but there is no denying him missing her as well as the rest of the family.

My niece sent me the following little story that really touched me and I wanted to share it.


Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eye of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry about Sheena. I sure loved her. Hope you're all holding up ok. I miss seeing you guys. Just remember... all dogs go to heaven!

happycamper said...

Hey Melissa

Thanks for the thoughts. Sure has been a rough few days and I am so happy to know that she did go to heaven. I know that we will meet again - hopefully at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks
Nedra

Alisha said...

That is soo weird! I had no idea she passed away. We use to tease her and say "cheese" and watch her get all happy. Hope you are doing ok.

John Andersen said...

Sorry to hear the news of Sheena's passing. I remember all of my dogs well and loved each one of them.

I have to admit though, I was chuckling to myself when I was reading all of her near-death experiences. What a rebounder!

sam and kyrsten said...

im sure sheena and chancey are having a wonderful time chasing eachother in heaven... krissy (christensen's dog) probably isnt with them though! :) hope your holding up ok! jace just told me the news! we love you guys!

Shantaila said...

I'm so sorry! I think we all loved sheshe. When we had to put our dog down I think we all cried forever! It is so tuff, but time will heal!